Thursday, October 1, 2009

narrativeeevs


I find something really fantastic in the narrative; I love something that tells a story. Work that speaks not only to a situation but to the people involved and their story are all things that are important to me. I think this began when I was younger and I was obsessed with this book about Egyptians that my mom gave me. I liked to make up stories about the people and how they would interact.


I love the way that Kara Walker creates these epic stories using silhouettes. The scale and the figures speak about slave revolt and rebellion. Yet they retain some sort of whimsy in the exaggeration of certain body parts and features.


Bec Young, who was my supervisor this summer (and my life mentor), is part of this print collaborative called JustSeeds. Her work is really fantastic. I have had the opportunity to see many of the other printmakers' works in real life as well at a show this summer. I absolutely loved the work by Meredith Stern. Her creatures have something sort of dark and mysterious about them; something sort of weird. (This image is not the colors of the print I saw- the one I saw was blues and browns and no reds) Her work is very stylistic and also has a nice mix of whimsy, darkness, and narration.

I want to find a way to incorporate this narrative style and memory into my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment